Skip to main content

#22 Pine Nut Macaroons 1960

These hold their shape - happy dance!
Plain in back row, candied orange peels added in front row.
Egg white wash helps hold pignoli.

I have made similar cookies. In fact, the very first cookie in the book, Cajun Macaroons, is similar in type and style. These require blanched almonds (see previous post), pulverized in a food processor or blender with egg white, then mixed with sugar and a bit of liqueur. Tops get pine nuts over a light brushing of egg white.

Too simple a recipe to let it be, I wanted to try some variations. Candied orange peel to the rescue!

Recalling the Cornetti I just made, I added finely pulverized candied orange peel to part of the dough. Another portion got larger bits of the candied peel.

The plain ones were light and almondy, as expected. The key difference from the earlier macaroons is their shape; they come out of the oven exactly the same shape as they go in. No melting flat in the heat of the oven. Ultimate control achieved!

Pignoli stick to this dough.
The reasons? They call for almonds (rather than canned almond paste, which is processed with water), and less egg white than the Cajun Macaroons (from 2 eggs vs. 3). No wonder they hold up. As well, they must sit for several hours to form a crust. Just as in Italy, patience achieves the desired result.

I made a batch of these plain almond macaroons, some Cornetti, and some Italian brownies (recipe and my review coming) for an auction recently. The winning bidder beat out a lot of bids.

The variations: Although the orange peel bits look pretty, they distract a bit from the soft texture of the cookie centers. Maybe a softer orange peel would blend better. I admit over-dehydrating the second batch of orange peels I made. The Cornetti (previous post), in which I first used the candied orange peel, had a grittier texture due to the corn meal added. In that dough, the orange peel did not stand out.

The orange peel dust, which resulted from trying to pulverize the peels in the food processor, gave a lovely light orange hue to the cookies. They do impart their flavor, though, making the addition worthwhile. I think orange zest might give a similar effect with less work. I'll try this next in my quest for my own perfect almond cookie.

A series of flavor and shape variations, and exterior nut variations are in my future. One thing is sure - I will not waste my liqueurs on cookies. They rarely impart much flavor. I'll take my cookies with a snifter of brandy on the side.

Bakery Cookies?
This recipe came closest to the Italian bakery cookies I loved so much. They deserve further experimentation using other nuts, in the dough and as decoration. The nuts stuck to this dough--wet enough to grip the nuts. When they dry, they create that essential exterior crust.

Now that I've achieved the stable shape and stuck-on nuts, I'll be experimenting with the form of almonds I use in the ingredients - almond flour, crushed and blanched almonds, crushed but unblanched almonds. Will the ingredients I settle on be the same ones the Italian bakers use in their almond cookie recipes?

Maybe yes, maybe no. I'll settle for the ones I like best.


No Recipe: I can't find the published recipe posted online. You'll have to wait until I perfect my own. Or buy the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#33 Almond Bolas (Portuguese Almond Cookies) 1975

Three almond balls ( bolas ) in a row. "This one is good," my sister-in-law Jill told me. She tried not to express too much surprise, but I have regaled her with too many tales of failed cookies. And forced her to eat a few duds. I was glad this one made the grade. I liked it, too. You might think I am a hopeless romantic to fall for another almond cookie. (Italy, almond cookies. Almond cookies, Italy.) The fact is every country that can grow almonds has its special recipes for almond cookies. Portugal is no exception. The ground blanched almonds combine with dry bread crumbs, then the usual sugar, egg whites and almond extract. The dry bread crumbs are key. When the cookies are fresh from the oven, the bread crumbs add a perfect crunch to their rustic, nutty texture. Holes in the center ready for filling. These cookies don't "drop." You roll them in a ball ( bola ) and press a hole in the center, as for jelly-filled thumbprint cookies. Egg yolk

#17 Brazil Nut Crescents 1958

Light as a feather, these cookies showcase the Brazil nut. After my fiasco of many ingredients (the Oatmeal Molasses Cookies seem so last month), I wondered if only four ingredients would be enough to make a decent attempt at a cookie. I creamed the butter, added sugar, flour and finely chopped Brazil nuts, as instructed. I kneaded the dough on a floured surface a bit, and formed my 2-inch cylinder of dough. The ridged crescent shapes emerge when you cut off each slice. As you cut, each round compresses into more of an oval or square. Help it shape by giving it a pat on top. Then, poke a finger sideways into the middle of each slice, and pull the ends toward you to form the crescents. Cookie rounds flatten as you slice them. I expected a firm cookie, like the Mexican Wedding Cakes I've made. But these are lighter. When I bit in, they crumbled like an abandoned sand castle. OK, edible sand castle. I wondered how they had stayed together until then. The texture difference c

#12 Navettes Sucreés (Sugar Shuttles) 1950

Cookies topped with sparkling sugar on left, granulated sugar on right. This cookie is almost as satisfying as the vanilla scent that fills the kitchen while baking.  Similar to the Christmas Butter Cookies, egg yolks contribute to their light, crumbly texture. The name is a reference to the long thin device that guides yarn back and forth across the warp in weaving (or a device on a sewing machine). But these cookies look nothing like their name. Frankly, I would not expect anyone to take one look at these cookies and say, "I know - a weaving shuttle." Not happening. Butter, eggs and vanilla await kneading into dry flour, sugar and salt mixture. I wonder if the recipe or cookie shape goes back to an era of early weavers, or if this was a 1950's invention for the magazine. The Cookie Book calls them "cigar-shaped," not an image I'd evoke to sell a cookie. The making is easy. After rolling bits of dough into, shall we say, a small slug shape (I