Skip to main content

#20 Brown Butter Cookies 1961

Admire the Brown Butter Cookies now; no more to come.
Like an edible sand castle, if there were such a thing, these cookies have a fine texture that crumbles and melts in the mouth. Delicate and short-bready, these cookies smell a lot like the "cookie soap" my friend gave me (see the May 20, 2011 post). They are true novelties that get great reviews from friends.

Those same friends must have wondered at the quizzical expression on my face while listening to their compliments. My furrowed brow said, "Really?"

I didn't want them to be a hit. In fact, I never want to make them again. Here's why.

These cookies want a cup of butter to be heated in a pan until it browns.  This is the step that is supposed to produce the sandy texture. Not the way I prefer to spend 30 minutes. Kneading is fun. Making shapes from rolled out dough can feel creative. But watching butter simmer...well, I might as well watch my tomatoes "grow" in a Seattle spring. Just as entertaining.

I made the mistake of adding salt to the butter before it had cooled and managed to burn the salt in the very hot liquid. It turned dark brown immediately and added flecks to the cookies, but tasted fine. I've never complained about the salty brown bits left behind in the bacon pan, and these were no different. Again, flavor is not a problem. As with mail order, the painful part is the processing and handling.

The recipe calls for "vanilla sugar" which the notes say you can make by putting a vanilla bean into some granulated sugar and "let it stand for at least 2 days--the longer, the better." I consider my pantry pretty well-stocked. I even had a vial of vanilla beans on hand. But two days? Really? I used vanilla extract.
Kneaded (not gently), fork-tined and ready for the oven,
with a plain or blanched almond topping.

The recipe notes say, "The dough is very crumbly, like a shortbread dough, and it must be kneaded to make it come together in a smooth mass; do not be gentle." (Emphasis mine.) True to the warning, these are frustrating fall-apart disks you can't rely on to produce a full plate of dessert.

Even my thinnest offset spatula had trouble transferring them from cookie sheet to serving plate.

Way too delicate to slide off a cookie sheet.
The broken cookies on the sheet that can't be served to company are the worst. Here is a recipe for derailing your cookie-avoiding diet. Both my husband and I ate far too many broken-cookies-not-good-enough-for-company.

And see that photo of the cookies on a plate? That photo required repeated crumb sweeping with a basting brush. They drop grit like beach towels you brought home from the beach.

So, why did I stare puzzled at my friends who devoured every one of the cookies I brought to our meeting? Now you know.

A nearly exact recipe is here if you dare.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#33 Almond Bolas (Portuguese Almond Cookies) 1975

Three almond balls ( bolas ) in a row. "This one is good," my sister-in-law Jill told me. She tried not to express too much surprise, but I have regaled her with too many tales of failed cookies. And forced her to eat a few duds. I was glad this one made the grade. I liked it, too. You might think I am a hopeless romantic to fall for another almond cookie. (Italy, almond cookies. Almond cookies, Italy.) The fact is every country that can grow almonds has its special recipes for almond cookies. Portugal is no exception. The ground blanched almonds combine with dry bread crumbs, then the usual sugar, egg whites and almond extract. The dry bread crumbs are key. When the cookies are fresh from the oven, the bread crumbs add a perfect crunch to their rustic, nutty texture. Holes in the center ready for filling. These cookies don't "drop." You roll them in a ball ( bola ) and press a hole in the center, as for jelly-filled thumbprint cookies. Egg yolk

#17 Brazil Nut Crescents 1958

Light as a feather, these cookies showcase the Brazil nut. After my fiasco of many ingredients (the Oatmeal Molasses Cookies seem so last month), I wondered if only four ingredients would be enough to make a decent attempt at a cookie. I creamed the butter, added sugar, flour and finely chopped Brazil nuts, as instructed. I kneaded the dough on a floured surface a bit, and formed my 2-inch cylinder of dough. The ridged crescent shapes emerge when you cut off each slice. As you cut, each round compresses into more of an oval or square. Help it shape by giving it a pat on top. Then, poke a finger sideways into the middle of each slice, and pull the ends toward you to form the crescents. Cookie rounds flatten as you slice them. I expected a firm cookie, like the Mexican Wedding Cakes I've made. But these are lighter. When I bit in, they crumbled like an abandoned sand castle. OK, edible sand castle. I wondered how they had stayed together until then. The texture difference c

Bourbon Balls, by request

On Sunday, my nephew asked me for my bourbon ball recipe. Not one from the Gourmet Cookie Book -- one of those recipes I haven't gotten around to -- but the one I make for Christmas brunch, and other cold-weather parties to get us all through the winter. My recipe comes from a 1970's yellowed 3 X 5 card. Typed on an actual typewriter. My mom found the "Coconut Rum Balls" recipe somewhere, set me to typing the recipe for her card file, then set me to making them. I kept making them. One year, we were out of rum and I'd tasted a friend's bourbon balls (in the '70's these things were everywhere), so I used bourbon and never looked back. Bourbon Balls 2 cups finely crushed chocolate waters 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, more for rolling 1 cup finely chopped pecans 1/4 cup light corn syrup 1/4 cup bourbon Combine all ingredients. With hands -- and this is the fun part so no fair using a spoon -- mix until all ingredients are well combined. The mixt