Skip to main content

#21 Cornetti 1989

First, the texture. These crescent-shaped darlings came closest to the crisp-outside, soft-inside of the almond cookies I've been craving. The difference with these is their distinct orange flavor, from chopped, candied orange peel, and the cup of white cornmeal that adds a gritty crunch to each bite.

Cornetti, dusted with powdered sugar.

These firm, hearty cookies, with a ground almond base, are my first real almond cookie success. They are not the same as any cookie I tasted in Italy; I have yet to duplicate those bakery cookies. These stand on their own, apart from the rest, and they are every bit as good.

After one minute in boiling water, almonds are ready to
have skins removed.

Blanching almonds.
Orange peels simmering in sugar syrup.
The bad news is the labor required, especially if you begin with almonds that have their skins. Although an easy process of blanching in hot water allows the skins to be removed for an all-white dough, by the time I was done, I was ready to spring for the already-blanched almonds in the package. Never mind the almonds I squeezed too quickly from their skins only to find them squirted across the kitchen counter onto the floor.

A second unfortunate delay to making these cookies is the requirement of candied orange peels. My well-stocked grocery store said they were a seasonal item. Market Spice, a specialty shop in Pike Place Market, which carries every kind of exotic tea and spice, had none, and couldn't imagine where to send me. I would have to make my own.

Candied orange peel: Gourmet gave one recipe, but I wanted a second opinion. A short search online turned up several highly rated recipes. I bought oranges, sliced off their skins (zest and pulp together) in quarters and made 1/4-inch strips from them. I set up two pots of water to boil and plunged the strips into the first pot for 10 minutes, then the second one another ten minutes. These baths leach the sour taste from the pith. Meanwhile, I made a sugar syrup in the first saucepan (2 cups sugar to 1 1/4 cups water), and sent the peels simmering in the syrup for 20-30 minutes. They emerged as glistening orange jewels. Sticky, dripping jewels.

This amount of syrup will process about 8 oranges, but I found it easier to work with 4 at a time.

Once candied, the Gourmet recipe has the peels drying out at room temperature overnight. I looked for online alternatives. Some warned about the resulting sticky mess if the peels dry on a cookie rack on the kitchen counter. Others used an oven on its lowest setting. A light went off.

Firm dough with chopped almonds
and orange peels.
Dough in long rolls refrigerate
overnight to form a dry exterior.
Two years ago, when we had a real summer, I wanted to dry my tomatoes for use throughout the winter. I researched some dehydrators and bought one that sits in my sewing room the rest of the year. Voila! Another use for the dehydrator. Two hours (at 115 degrees) results in slightly tacky but pliable orange strips, easily choppable for the cookie dough.

Rolls slice into individual cookies.

Forming the crescent shapes.
I plan to keep extras on hand to dip into chocolate or sugar, or eat as snacks.

After processing two batches in the sugar syrup, the leftovers become a sweet orange base for a spring cocktail. Let your imagination run wild.

The aromatic dough gets rolled into logs to rest a few hours in the frig, then cut into sections and shaped into crescents (like the Brazil Nut Crescents, #15).

Baking at 7-9 minutes at 400 degrees (not the recipe's 450) is enough. Best if put on the bottom shelf of the oven.

Now that I have the candied orange peels, I can make the cookies over and over again.

The recipe is here: they suggest a 425-degree oven.

Comments

  1. Hello,
    How wonderful to see someone else trying to perfect the cornetti. I am in awe of the labour involved in making your own candied orange peels.
    Have you tried eliminating the flou ? I think you will find them more what you remember.
    I have a couple of recipes for Cornetti scrawled in my illegible handwriting both from Italian cookbooks. One of the things I have noticed in both is that there is little or no flour. One recipe calls for 2 tablespoons, the other has none. The one that has 2 T flour has you make your own almond paste first. The other has just 2 cups of ground almond,with a few bitter almonds for flavour which are incredibly hard to find.(I use a tiny drop of almond essence instead)
    Here is the recipe #2
    Cornetti
    3 large egg whites beaten separately (if using almond extract add it here)
    1 cup of fine sugar
    1/4 tsp of salt
    2 1/2 cups well packed cups of finely ground almonds
    Unspecified amount of finely chopped candied orange peel.
    Roll cookies in chopped unskinned preferably organic almonds and beat 1-2 egg whitess.

    This recipe had no instructions. But I grind the almonds and sugar and salt together. Beat the egg whites with the almond essence, mix everything together and add the chopped candied orange peel last. I roll out logs but never chilled them overnight just until set.
    Make each tapered crescent then dip it in beaten egg white and roll it chopped almond. Bake at 300 degrees on parchment paper until just brown about 20-20 minutes. Make sure your oven is actually 300 degrees and not hotter. Dust with powdered sugar while still warm if desired.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#33 Almond Bolas (Portuguese Almond Cookies) 1975

Three almond balls ( bolas ) in a row. "This one is good," my sister-in-law Jill told me. She tried not to express too much surprise, but I have regaled her with too many tales of failed cookies. And forced her to eat a few duds. I was glad this one made the grade. I liked it, too. You might think I am a hopeless romantic to fall for another almond cookie. (Italy, almond cookies. Almond cookies, Italy.) The fact is every country that can grow almonds has its special recipes for almond cookies. Portugal is no exception. The ground blanched almonds combine with dry bread crumbs, then the usual sugar, egg whites and almond extract. The dry bread crumbs are key. When the cookies are fresh from the oven, the bread crumbs add a perfect crunch to their rustic, nutty texture. Holes in the center ready for filling. These cookies don't "drop." You roll them in a ball ( bola ) and press a hole in the center, as for jelly-filled thumbprint cookies. Egg yolk

#17 Brazil Nut Crescents 1958

Light as a feather, these cookies showcase the Brazil nut. After my fiasco of many ingredients (the Oatmeal Molasses Cookies seem so last month), I wondered if only four ingredients would be enough to make a decent attempt at a cookie. I creamed the butter, added sugar, flour and finely chopped Brazil nuts, as instructed. I kneaded the dough on a floured surface a bit, and formed my 2-inch cylinder of dough. The ridged crescent shapes emerge when you cut off each slice. As you cut, each round compresses into more of an oval or square. Help it shape by giving it a pat on top. Then, poke a finger sideways into the middle of each slice, and pull the ends toward you to form the crescents. Cookie rounds flatten as you slice them. I expected a firm cookie, like the Mexican Wedding Cakes I've made. But these are lighter. When I bit in, they crumbled like an abandoned sand castle. OK, edible sand castle. I wondered how they had stayed together until then. The texture difference c

Bourbon Balls, by request

On Sunday, my nephew asked me for my bourbon ball recipe. Not one from the Gourmet Cookie Book -- one of those recipes I haven't gotten around to -- but the one I make for Christmas brunch, and other cold-weather parties to get us all through the winter. My recipe comes from a 1970's yellowed 3 X 5 card. Typed on an actual typewriter. My mom found the "Coconut Rum Balls" recipe somewhere, set me to typing the recipe for her card file, then set me to making them. I kept making them. One year, we were out of rum and I'd tasted a friend's bourbon balls (in the '70's these things were everywhere), so I used bourbon and never looked back. Bourbon Balls 2 cups finely crushed chocolate waters 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, more for rolling 1 cup finely chopped pecans 1/4 cup light corn syrup 1/4 cup bourbon Combine all ingredients. With hands -- and this is the fun part so no fair using a spoon -- mix until all ingredients are well combined. The mixt