Skip to main content

Making Cookies in Italy: Garden First, then Find Pine Nuts

Written Sunday, April 10, 2011.
Tony shows me around the garden.Our "apartment"
is in the tall building in the background.

My second suitcase arrived with my gardening clothes and cookie making equipment on Thursday, three days late, after missing the connection in Amsterdam to Rome. (See my April 1 post about how I found myself as a gardener in residence in Civita.) I was reluctant to wear my city shoes into the garden, but the fact was that I had work to do, so city shoes and clothes have been sacrificed. I know this is a cookie making blog, but sometimes cookies have to be set aside.

I am here to help an architect care for the garden that helps feed academic fellows who come to this small architecture institute. Tony, the architect on site, has been working this garden for years, and I am careful to ask his preferences:
  • Which tasks to prioritize: Besides weeding and planting, Tony wants a culinary bay leaf hedge trimmed (grows like a weed), and a gravel path sifted of dirt and weeds. These are yet to do.
  • When to plant seeds: We are waiting for the full moon on the 17th.
  • How he wants me to mulch and compost: He has no official compost pile, so I suggested spreading partly composted weeds into the beds, and he showed me how to throw woody vines over the garden wall to the chestnut grove 150 meters (about 500 feet) below.
Pruning the quince.
I am fortunate that some institute members visited earlier this year and got a head start on the planting. Fava beans, peas, spinach, radishes and parsley are in and up. Artichokes have been there a while, and need some organic fertilizer. Asparagus are new perennials in this garden. I find them so delightful, springing up from day to day, that I will plant some in my garden as soon as I return home.

For the past week, I have weeded, planted lettuce, weeded, pruned an aging quince tree, weeded, and dug a trench for a plastic barrier to contain the aggressive mint (same as in Seattle). I helped trim blackberry brambles (again, as in Seattle), and fine-pruned a 30-year-old potted evergreen shrub that Tony calls a juniper and looks very much like an open-spreading yew.


My husband Doug and I stay in a refurbished apartment made of local tufa stone.

This is our "home" in Civita.
I have been in the kitchen a lot, but to make dinners, not cookies. Sitting in the corner of the kitchen are the equipment that arrived in my second bag: a spare cookie sheet, parchment paper, cinnamon, almond paste, sesame seeds, a pastry bag, baking soda and baking powder. I had it on good authority from a friend who lives in Italy that Italian baking powder comes with a vanilla flavoring added. She had me bring her some of the real American kind a few years ago when I visited Venice, which is near her home.

My first quest was to find pine nuts. I could have brought some from my Costco stash at home, but that would be one of those coals to Newcastle moments that I couldn't abide. Shouldn't I be able to buy pignoli anywhere in Italy?

In spite of my so-so Italian, far superior to Doug's, I was not the one to find them. Doug approached a man in the Orvieto Saturday market who had sacks of nuts for sale. (How else can you say this?) Doug inquired, "Pignoli?"

One minute and 5 Euro later, Doug showed me the small bag of pine nuts he'd purchased at a rate of about $35 per pound. It only takes one Italian word to get ripped off in the market.

I should have brought some from Costco, I thought to myself, but only until I tasted a couple. The Italian pine nuts were ever more subtle and floral than those imported from China. If only they lend their special flavor to my cookies.

Comments

  1. Wow! What an experience. How long are you away for & does Doug have a job to do as well or just along for the pleasure of this adventure? Best wishes.

    Lyn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#33 Almond Bolas (Portuguese Almond Cookies) 1975

Three almond balls ( bolas ) in a row. "This one is good," my sister-in-law Jill told me. She tried not to express too much surprise, but I have regaled her with too many tales of failed cookies. And forced her to eat a few duds. I was glad this one made the grade. I liked it, too. You might think I am a hopeless romantic to fall for another almond cookie. (Italy, almond cookies. Almond cookies, Italy.) The fact is every country that can grow almonds has its special recipes for almond cookies. Portugal is no exception. The ground blanched almonds combine with dry bread crumbs, then the usual sugar, egg whites and almond extract. The dry bread crumbs are key. When the cookies are fresh from the oven, the bread crumbs add a perfect crunch to their rustic, nutty texture. Holes in the center ready for filling. These cookies don't "drop." You roll them in a ball ( bola ) and press a hole in the center, as for jelly-filled thumbprint cookies. Egg yolk

#17 Brazil Nut Crescents 1958

Light as a feather, these cookies showcase the Brazil nut. After my fiasco of many ingredients (the Oatmeal Molasses Cookies seem so last month), I wondered if only four ingredients would be enough to make a decent attempt at a cookie. I creamed the butter, added sugar, flour and finely chopped Brazil nuts, as instructed. I kneaded the dough on a floured surface a bit, and formed my 2-inch cylinder of dough. The ridged crescent shapes emerge when you cut off each slice. As you cut, each round compresses into more of an oval or square. Help it shape by giving it a pat on top. Then, poke a finger sideways into the middle of each slice, and pull the ends toward you to form the crescents. Cookie rounds flatten as you slice them. I expected a firm cookie, like the Mexican Wedding Cakes I've made. But these are lighter. When I bit in, they crumbled like an abandoned sand castle. OK, edible sand castle. I wondered how they had stayed together until then. The texture difference c

Bourbon Balls, by request

On Sunday, my nephew asked me for my bourbon ball recipe. Not one from the Gourmet Cookie Book -- one of those recipes I haven't gotten around to -- but the one I make for Christmas brunch, and other cold-weather parties to get us all through the winter. My recipe comes from a 1970's yellowed 3 X 5 card. Typed on an actual typewriter. My mom found the "Coconut Rum Balls" recipe somewhere, set me to typing the recipe for her card file, then set me to making them. I kept making them. One year, we were out of rum and I'd tasted a friend's bourbon balls (in the '70's these things were everywhere), so I used bourbon and never looked back. Bourbon Balls 2 cups finely crushed chocolate waters 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, more for rolling 1 cup finely chopped pecans 1/4 cup light corn syrup 1/4 cup bourbon Combine all ingredients. With hands -- and this is the fun part so no fair using a spoon -- mix until all ingredients are well combined. The mixt