Skip to main content

#16 Oatmeal Molasses Cookies 1956

Energy bars for a long hike.
I lined up all 11 ingredients for these cookies. The array seemed a bit of overkill. Worthy of the label "jumble," these require nearly everything from your baking shelf. The result is hiker-hearty and probably good-for-you, featuring dried fruit (raisins), nuts (pecans, my favorite), molasses and, of course, the oats.

These quickly drop onto a baking sheet, but I'd watch that they don't get too near the bottom of the oven. They were done in 8 minutes at 400 degrees, or 10 minutes at 300 degrees. Bottoms were burned just two minutes later.
Many ingredients in these "jumbles."

These are so crisp (read that hard), I'd flatten them and bake for only 6 minutes if I wanted to serve them to pre-schoolers.

Make them for your next backpack trip, or snack on them for energy.  But I'd make other choices for a special treat.

I could not find this recipe online, but I recommend you find another. There are loads of promising variations on this theme.

Note from Italy: I made the cookies at home, but am posting from Civita di Bagnoregio. My baking equipment and the few ingredients I brought with me were in a bag that did not make our Amsterdam connection. We just received the bags on Thursday. I'll go to Orvieto and look for pignoli today.

Comments

  1. I can't wait to hear about our Made in Italy cookies. Hope you are having fun.

    Best wishes

    Lyn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#33 Almond Bolas (Portuguese Almond Cookies) 1975

Three almond balls ( bolas ) in a row. "This one is good," my sister-in-law Jill told me. She tried not to express too much surprise, but I have regaled her with too many tales of failed cookies. And forced her to eat a few duds. I was glad this one made the grade. I liked it, too. You might think I am a hopeless romantic to fall for another almond cookie. (Italy, almond cookies. Almond cookies, Italy.) The fact is every country that can grow almonds has its special recipes for almond cookies. Portugal is no exception. The ground blanched almonds combine with dry bread crumbs, then the usual sugar, egg whites and almond extract. The dry bread crumbs are key. When the cookies are fresh from the oven, the bread crumbs add a perfect crunch to their rustic, nutty texture. Holes in the center ready for filling. These cookies don't "drop." You roll them in a ball ( bola ) and press a hole in the center, as for jelly-filled thumbprint cookies. Egg yolk

#17 Brazil Nut Crescents 1958

Light as a feather, these cookies showcase the Brazil nut. After my fiasco of many ingredients (the Oatmeal Molasses Cookies seem so last month), I wondered if only four ingredients would be enough to make a decent attempt at a cookie. I creamed the butter, added sugar, flour and finely chopped Brazil nuts, as instructed. I kneaded the dough on a floured surface a bit, and formed my 2-inch cylinder of dough. The ridged crescent shapes emerge when you cut off each slice. As you cut, each round compresses into more of an oval or square. Help it shape by giving it a pat on top. Then, poke a finger sideways into the middle of each slice, and pull the ends toward you to form the crescents. Cookie rounds flatten as you slice them. I expected a firm cookie, like the Mexican Wedding Cakes I've made. But these are lighter. When I bit in, they crumbled like an abandoned sand castle. OK, edible sand castle. I wondered how they had stayed together until then. The texture difference c

Bourbon Balls, by request

On Sunday, my nephew asked me for my bourbon ball recipe. Not one from the Gourmet Cookie Book -- one of those recipes I haven't gotten around to -- but the one I make for Christmas brunch, and other cold-weather parties to get us all through the winter. My recipe comes from a 1970's yellowed 3 X 5 card. Typed on an actual typewriter. My mom found the "Coconut Rum Balls" recipe somewhere, set me to typing the recipe for her card file, then set me to making them. I kept making them. One year, we were out of rum and I'd tasted a friend's bourbon balls (in the '70's these things were everywhere), so I used bourbon and never looked back. Bourbon Balls 2 cups finely crushed chocolate waters 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, more for rolling 1 cup finely chopped pecans 1/4 cup light corn syrup 1/4 cup bourbon Combine all ingredients. With hands -- and this is the fun part so no fair using a spoon -- mix until all ingredients are well combined. The mixt