Skip to main content

Bourbon Balls, by request

On Sunday, my nephew asked me for my bourbon ball recipe. Not one from the Gourmet Cookie Book -- one of those recipes I haven't gotten around to -- but the one I make for Christmas brunch, and other cold-weather parties to get us all through the winter.

My recipe comes from a 1970's yellowed 3 X 5 card. Typed on an actual typewriter. My mom found the "Coconut Rum Balls" recipe somewhere, set me to typing the recipe for her card file, then set me to making them. I kept making them.

One year, we were out of rum and I'd tasted a friend's bourbon balls (in the '70's these things were everywhere), so I used bourbon and never looked back.

Bourbon Balls

2 cups finely crushed chocolate waters
1 cup sifted powdered sugar, more for rolling
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup bourbon

Combine all ingredients. With hands -- and this is the fun part so no fair using a spoon -- mix until all ingredients are well combined. The mixture will be stiff and sticky. Shape into 1-inch balls. Refrigerate, covered, overnight. Roll in powdered sugar before serving. Makes about 2 dozen.

Notes: I have plenty of notes. Remember, I've been doing this for more than 30 years.

1) Famous Wafers come in a yellow box with black and red print. Most good grocery stores have them around the holidays, because they are the go-to cookies for crumbling into these balls. Just don't go to buy them the day before a holiday -- they will be gone and you will be sad.

2) It is a manufacturer's rule not to make products in the exact amount you need for a recipe. You can just about squeeze a batch of bourbon balls out of one box, but I always need a few extra wafers to make 2 cups of crumbs. Besides, once you've "tasted" the cookies to see if they are worthy -- and you will not be able to stop at one -- you might as well get at least two boxes and make a 1 1/2 batch. Anyway, you are sure to eat any leftover wafer cookies, maybe before the balls are rolled, 'cause they rock with dark chocolate flavor.

3) I crush the wafers in my hands as they go into the food processor, just to help out the poor machine. Why can't I find a new processor with the same guts and blades as my old Robot Coupe? The other option (besides a blender) is to put the cookies between two sheets of waxed paper and use a rolling pin. This way you also have a handy weapon to keep interlopers from your chocolate wafers.

4) Do sift the powdered sugar - that makes it blend easily. But all you really have to do is shake it through a 6-inch strainer. No real sifter needed. Added bonus: Discover the joy of creating a mini-Mt. Everest in your bowl by sifting the sugar over your chocolate crumbs. Better than a snow globe (which BTW they don't let you take through the TSA line, so put it in your checked luggage, but I digress).

5) I always choose pecans, but any nuts will do in a pinch.

6) It might be tempting to add extra bourbon. Go easy on this, because you really do want these balls to hold together. Instead, just pour over ice on the side.

7) You can roll the balls in flaked coconut, if you prefer. These look great on a plate, but not everyone likes coconut. Roll them in the coconut as you make the balls so that the coconut sticks to the balls. If you use powdered sugar, roll them just before serving. Otherwise, the moisture from the balls will turn the sugar to a gooey mush. Bet you can tell how I know this.

8) When you are done mixing, have a most wonderful time licking the "stiff and sticky" dough off your hands. Then, wash up to do the rolling. Then the balls will stick to your hands less if you keep your hands coated in powdered sugar.

There you go, Jayred.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#33 Almond Bolas (Portuguese Almond Cookies) 1975

Three almond balls ( bolas ) in a row. "This one is good," my sister-in-law Jill told me. She tried not to express too much surprise, but I have regaled her with too many tales of failed cookies. And forced her to eat a few duds. I was glad this one made the grade. I liked it, too. You might think I am a hopeless romantic to fall for another almond cookie. (Italy, almond cookies. Almond cookies, Italy.) The fact is every country that can grow almonds has its special recipes for almond cookies. Portugal is no exception. The ground blanched almonds combine with dry bread crumbs, then the usual sugar, egg whites and almond extract. The dry bread crumbs are key. When the cookies are fresh from the oven, the bread crumbs add a perfect crunch to their rustic, nutty texture. Holes in the center ready for filling. These cookies don't "drop." You roll them in a ball ( bola ) and press a hole in the center, as for jelly-filled thumbprint cookies. Egg yolk

#17 Brazil Nut Crescents 1958

Light as a feather, these cookies showcase the Brazil nut. After my fiasco of many ingredients (the Oatmeal Molasses Cookies seem so last month), I wondered if only four ingredients would be enough to make a decent attempt at a cookie. I creamed the butter, added sugar, flour and finely chopped Brazil nuts, as instructed. I kneaded the dough on a floured surface a bit, and formed my 2-inch cylinder of dough. The ridged crescent shapes emerge when you cut off each slice. As you cut, each round compresses into more of an oval or square. Help it shape by giving it a pat on top. Then, poke a finger sideways into the middle of each slice, and pull the ends toward you to form the crescents. Cookie rounds flatten as you slice them. I expected a firm cookie, like the Mexican Wedding Cakes I've made. But these are lighter. When I bit in, they crumbled like an abandoned sand castle. OK, edible sand castle. I wondered how they had stayed together until then. The texture difference c