Skip to main content

My Quest for the Perfect Italian Almond Cookies, Part 1

Not yet satisfied with my version of the Italian almond cookies I made in Italy, I continue my search for the right ingredients and techniques, but success eludes me.

The cookies I bought in Rome and in Tuscan hill towns (see my April 17, 2011 post) were smooth and moist on the inside, crusty on the outside, covered in pine nuts, almonds or pistachios, had a fine flavor balance, and were made in round or tubular shapes.

My first batch, made in Italy using my standard almond paste in a can, was too sweet. The almond paste contains sugar, which seems to overpower the cookies. European cookies, in general, lean toward less sugar. I knew I'd need to try an alternative to almond paste. As well, my cookies did not sit up in proud little balls--they melted into pancakes during cooking. That will never do.

Pretty and tasty made with Bob's Red Mill finely ground
"Almond Meal/Flour," but they did not hold their shape.
My next experiment, when I returned home, took me to the bulk bins at my favorite grocery store, Central Market in Shoreline, Washington. I scooped a batch of "almond meal," which the Italian recipe wanted, and made my next batch. The cookie batter was drier and I had hopes that the cookies would hold their shape. After all, the cookies sit to dry on the cookie sheet for two hours before baking. That should be sufficient to make a firm outer crust.

This batch was less sugary, but two problems remained. First, the almond meal grind was too coarse, contributing to a coarse cookie inside. Second, the balls and tubes of cookie dough again insisted on flattening into little circles and ovals in the oven. And as a result, they remained soft only for a couple of days. They crisped up after that, leaving no soft center.

I regrouped and went online. I learned that almond meal was a coarser version of almond flour, so I searched for the flour. Bob's Red Mill straddles the fence with their "Almond Meal/Flour," but it says it is "finely ground." At $10 per one-pound package, I took a chance. My third batch did have a finer texture--one problem solved, but these still flattened as though steam-rolled when baked.

I also had to acknowledge that my method of applying pine nuts or almonds to the outside of the cookies was lacking. The nuts on the Italian bakeshop cookies seemed to adhere evenly and easily, whereas I've always had to work to press nuts into the dough. And they still tried to fall off.

So, where are we?
Lessons learned:
  • Cookies made with almond flour are less sugary than those made with almond paste
  • Finely ground almond flour gives a smooth texture
Still to accomplish:
  • Cookies that hold their shape
  • Cookies that hold their nuts (don't even start)

So, why is this such a challenge? The techniques seem so effortless in every bakery in Italy. I should be able to do this if I set my American mind to it, right? The only thing standing in my way of a perfect cookie seems to be a face-to-face conversation with a real Italian baker--too late, now that I'm home, and maybe beyond my barely conversational Italian.

More importantly, why am I trying so hard?  Maybe because I feel my goal is within my grasp. I have all the ingredients. I just need the secret handshake.

Or maybe, success with this very Italian confection will make me feel somehow "more Italian," more a part of the Italian landscape in which I typically feel so comfortable, so at home. My parents may have taught me the special ingredients to a Ligurian pasta sauce (which we call gravy), and the techniques for a perfect pesto dish, but they did not prepare me for this.

The flattened discs stare up at me from hot cookie sheets. Chiding my naive efforts, they declare me a total foreigner to the Italian culture. "Straniera," they say, "how dare you claim Italian heritage?"

You can expect more almond cookie posts. Just have to get this right.

Comments

  1. You might like Michael Ruhlman's blog today on an app for calculating the formulas for cookies, called Cookulus. (Michael Ruhlman - Translating the Chef’s Craft for Every Kitchen) Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dorothy - great info. - Hotcookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I just came on this blog that you might want to check out. The sand dollar cookies are amazing looking. http://www.diamondsfordessert.com/
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#33 Almond Bolas (Portuguese Almond Cookies) 1975

Three almond balls ( bolas ) in a row. "This one is good," my sister-in-law Jill told me. She tried not to express too much surprise, but I have regaled her with too many tales of failed cookies. And forced her to eat a few duds. I was glad this one made the grade. I liked it, too. You might think I am a hopeless romantic to fall for another almond cookie. (Italy, almond cookies. Almond cookies, Italy.) The fact is every country that can grow almonds has its special recipes for almond cookies. Portugal is no exception. The ground blanched almonds combine with dry bread crumbs, then the usual sugar, egg whites and almond extract. The dry bread crumbs are key. When the cookies are fresh from the oven, the bread crumbs add a perfect crunch to their rustic, nutty texture. Holes in the center ready for filling. These cookies don't "drop." You roll them in a ball ( bola ) and press a hole in the center, as for jelly-filled thumbprint cookies. Egg yolk

#17 Brazil Nut Crescents 1958

Light as a feather, these cookies showcase the Brazil nut. After my fiasco of many ingredients (the Oatmeal Molasses Cookies seem so last month), I wondered if only four ingredients would be enough to make a decent attempt at a cookie. I creamed the butter, added sugar, flour and finely chopped Brazil nuts, as instructed. I kneaded the dough on a floured surface a bit, and formed my 2-inch cylinder of dough. The ridged crescent shapes emerge when you cut off each slice. As you cut, each round compresses into more of an oval or square. Help it shape by giving it a pat on top. Then, poke a finger sideways into the middle of each slice, and pull the ends toward you to form the crescents. Cookie rounds flatten as you slice them. I expected a firm cookie, like the Mexican Wedding Cakes I've made. But these are lighter. When I bit in, they crumbled like an abandoned sand castle. OK, edible sand castle. I wondered how they had stayed together until then. The texture difference c

Bourbon Balls, by request

On Sunday, my nephew asked me for my bourbon ball recipe. Not one from the Gourmet Cookie Book -- one of those recipes I haven't gotten around to -- but the one I make for Christmas brunch, and other cold-weather parties to get us all through the winter. My recipe comes from a 1970's yellowed 3 X 5 card. Typed on an actual typewriter. My mom found the "Coconut Rum Balls" recipe somewhere, set me to typing the recipe for her card file, then set me to making them. I kept making them. One year, we were out of rum and I'd tasted a friend's bourbon balls (in the '70's these things were everywhere), so I used bourbon and never looked back. Bourbon Balls 2 cups finely crushed chocolate waters 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, more for rolling 1 cup finely chopped pecans 1/4 cup light corn syrup 1/4 cup bourbon Combine all ingredients. With hands -- and this is the fun part so no fair using a spoon -- mix until all ingredients are well combined. The mixt