Skip to main content

#11 Chocolate Wafers 1950

Flat and round on the page, with a slightly ruddy texture. Not so much eye-appeal against the insistently modern black background of their photo (one-fourth of the way down the page). These cookies might have been hockey pucks or cow pies. Maybe hard, maybe soft, but they were the first chocolate cookie in the book, maybe a sign of good things to come.

Right away I thought of the "Famous Wafers" I buy every holiday season only to pulverize them for my rum balls recipe. I hoped my home made cookies would prove more worthy of eating in cookie form than the store-bought. Turns out the two cookies have only two features in common; they are both thin and richly chocolaty in flavor. Beyond that, my work was worth the trouble.

This dough sets up firm and smooth after three hours in the frig, and I found them more friendly to roll out than cookies of the 1940's. Way to start the day right. The scent of dark chocolate permeates the kitchen as they roll, and completely overtakes the senses during baking. While still hot, a spatula slips them easily from the cookie sheet, with no added butter on the sheet, And they hold their shape.

I think half the appeal of rolled out cookies is their shape. My knitting group cooed at them, "They're so pretty!" when I showed up with a plate of Aztec sun shapes.

The bitey, dark chocolate flavor didn't hurt either. The home made versions bloom in the mouth with a blend of the best natural ingredients (butter, real vanilla, Equal Exchange organic cocoa), about half as many ingredients as the store cookie, and none of the butter substitutes (soybean oil, coconut oil, partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil) or sugar substitutes (high fructose corn syrup). Bleck.

Jean appreciated the air pockets in this thin cookie.
"There's a lot of bang for the size of this cookie. Flavor, I mean," Jeanne said. "And look how thin it is."

Everyone agreed they could have a second cookie without guilt, so I went home with only two - my afternoon snack.

Dough dusted with part flour-part cocoa mixture.
I made one recipe substitution. For the 1 T. rum extract, I used 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 T. 151 rum. Even when vanilla is not the main flavor, it has a mellowing effect. Not sure if that citrusy note I detect is from chocolate or a rum undertone. No matter, these are winners. Bring on the rest of the 1950's.

TECHNIQUE: I was concerned if I rolled out these cookies with white flour on the counter that I'd have bits of white left on the  baked cookies. I had good reason to wonder. White flour clung to the bottoms of the Cinnamon Sugar Crisps, and only disappeared from the tops because I brushed them with water to add the sugar sprinkles. So, I mixed a small amount of flour and cocoa together to coat the disk of dough before rolling out.  Problem solved. Besides, they didn't need much coating to roll out stick-free. My cold marble slab from the garage kept the dough chilled and firm.

The recipe is here and here (three-fourths of the way down the page).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#33 Almond Bolas (Portuguese Almond Cookies) 1975

Three almond balls ( bolas ) in a row. "This one is good," my sister-in-law Jill told me. She tried not to express too much surprise, but I have regaled her with too many tales of failed cookies. And forced her to eat a few duds. I was glad this one made the grade. I liked it, too. You might think I am a hopeless romantic to fall for another almond cookie. (Italy, almond cookies. Almond cookies, Italy.) The fact is every country that can grow almonds has its special recipes for almond cookies. Portugal is no exception. The ground blanched almonds combine with dry bread crumbs, then the usual sugar, egg whites and almond extract. The dry bread crumbs are key. When the cookies are fresh from the oven, the bread crumbs add a perfect crunch to their rustic, nutty texture. Holes in the center ready for filling. These cookies don't "drop." You roll them in a ball ( bola ) and press a hole in the center, as for jelly-filled thumbprint cookies. Egg yolk

#17 Brazil Nut Crescents 1958

Light as a feather, these cookies showcase the Brazil nut. After my fiasco of many ingredients (the Oatmeal Molasses Cookies seem so last month), I wondered if only four ingredients would be enough to make a decent attempt at a cookie. I creamed the butter, added sugar, flour and finely chopped Brazil nuts, as instructed. I kneaded the dough on a floured surface a bit, and formed my 2-inch cylinder of dough. The ridged crescent shapes emerge when you cut off each slice. As you cut, each round compresses into more of an oval or square. Help it shape by giving it a pat on top. Then, poke a finger sideways into the middle of each slice, and pull the ends toward you to form the crescents. Cookie rounds flatten as you slice them. I expected a firm cookie, like the Mexican Wedding Cakes I've made. But these are lighter. When I bit in, they crumbled like an abandoned sand castle. OK, edible sand castle. I wondered how they had stayed together until then. The texture difference c

Bourbon Balls, by request

On Sunday, my nephew asked me for my bourbon ball recipe. Not one from the Gourmet Cookie Book -- one of those recipes I haven't gotten around to -- but the one I make for Christmas brunch, and other cold-weather parties to get us all through the winter. My recipe comes from a 1970's yellowed 3 X 5 card. Typed on an actual typewriter. My mom found the "Coconut Rum Balls" recipe somewhere, set me to typing the recipe for her card file, then set me to making them. I kept making them. One year, we were out of rum and I'd tasted a friend's bourbon balls (in the '70's these things were everywhere), so I used bourbon and never looked back. Bourbon Balls 2 cups finely crushed chocolate waters 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, more for rolling 1 cup finely chopped pecans 1/4 cup light corn syrup 1/4 cup bourbon Combine all ingredients. With hands -- and this is the fun part so no fair using a spoon -- mix until all ingredients are well combined. The mixt