Skip to main content

Half the Weight Loss - a Milestone



I have consistently weighed in below 151 for more than two weeks. I'm calling it half the goal achieved. A couple pairs of pants are noticeably looser and others fit much better. The muffin tops are still there, but smaller. I can see a better shape in the mirror - at least at some angles.

My friends have been remarkably kind about not asking my weight, but they do ask how I plan to lose while baking cookies. I find it difficult to write about weight loss. It's like writing about religion. People cling to deeply held beliefs about weight loss which, much like the troublesome pounds, are hard to shed.

Remember that 149 on my scale is 150
by the doctor's office scale.
These beliefs may have come from one authority or another, many of whom tout elaborate theories or philosophies in a popularized book, and are only partially based on science. If you have a diet that eliminates specific foods, doesn't put health at risk, and it works for you, go for it.

I won't be one of those "authorities." As a result, I won't be "prescriptive" in my advice. That is, I will rarely say "you do this or that." I'll write about what I've learned works for me, in first person.

Luckily, I've eaten reasonably good-for-me foods all my adult life, cutting down on chips, cheese, burgers, and portion size as my metabolism slowed. The modest adjustments to my diet are things I know I can do. If you find something here that makes sense, run with it.

Here is what I've learned so far.

  • Baking is not a sedentary activity. To bake, I have to stand up and not veg in front of a screen. Just three hours of walking around the kitchen burns calories.
  • Other people like my cookies. People really appreciate a plate of cookies at a knitting group, a potluck, or a work group meeting. And I meet with people all the time. My friends and coworkers are happy to eat my cookies, share them with their friends and family, and give me their impressions. My shared plates of cookies are conversation starters and they deplete my supply. The bonus is that I've rooted out several cookie aficionados with great recipes - resources for the future.
  • I can eat less and feel full by inverting my cereal bowl. Well, dumping it out might work, too, but that's not what I mean. Instead of pouring in cereal and topping it with fruit and milk, I can fill a bowl with cut up fruit (some combo of apples, bananas, blueberries, raspberries from the freezer in winter, pineapple, grapes), then top it with yogurt, a bit of milk, and a tablespoon of cereal for crunch. Coffee is my mid-morning "snack." Usually, I don't get hungry till mid afternoon. Fruit takes more time than toast, but it's all about commitment. Getting up 15 minutes earlier to cut fruit makes weight-loss a priority, an integral part of the schedule, and a reminder at the start of each day.
  • I eat to fuel my activity, and stop by 8 p.m. If I stop eating by 8 p.m., I digest most of my food while I'm still active. I think it doesn't go directly to fat, or as Rhoda nailed it on the Mary Tyler Moore Show, I don't "apply it directly to my hips." Showing my age, but a good line is timeless.
  • I can eat half of  the portion I'm served at a restaurant without feeling hungry afterward. If I immediately cut the plate in half visually, I can count on a flavorful lunch for the next two days. (Another bonus!) Saving for later is only a problem on the road, where refrigeration may be scarce and I don't want to waste. That's when a willing partner to split a plate comes in handy. "Half portions" do seem more expensive, but if I am focused on my goal, this last resort is worth it.
  • Dessert portions can be satisfying even if they are small. I don't feel deprived if I eat a small sweet item, say three of my cookies, in the afternoon, then a single sweet (I love a piece of chocolate) soon after dinner.
  • Aerobic activity gives my daily energy a big boost. The research is unclear about whether and how exercise might boost metabolism, but there are other benefits. After aerobic exercise or a one-mile walk, I have more energy to do other things, so I continue to be more active later in the day. Resistance training can build muscle that requires more calories when walking, or even at rest. And, of course, the exercise burns calories. Find a good summary article here.
  • I make a few rules I can live with.  I know some people have trouble with "rules" - it's an authority thing. Think of these rules for eating as "rules of the road" - they keep you safe in unsafe territory. Whatever I call them, if I make them myself, they don't feel imposed and they don't feel like deprivation, but help me stay focused on my goal.
All that said, I follow my rules most of the time, but way more of the time while I'm focused (the latent ADHD is showing). I realize I always keep some guidelines in the back of my head, but since my blog, they are in front of my face, literally. The laundry room door is a good place to hang them, but the frig is better.

What rules work for you?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#33 Almond Bolas (Portuguese Almond Cookies) 1975

Three almond balls ( bolas ) in a row. "This one is good," my sister-in-law Jill told me. She tried not to express too much surprise, but I have regaled her with too many tales of failed cookies. And forced her to eat a few duds. I was glad this one made the grade. I liked it, too. You might think I am a hopeless romantic to fall for another almond cookie. (Italy, almond cookies. Almond cookies, Italy.) The fact is every country that can grow almonds has its special recipes for almond cookies. Portugal is no exception. The ground blanched almonds combine with dry bread crumbs, then the usual sugar, egg whites and almond extract. The dry bread crumbs are key. When the cookies are fresh from the oven, the bread crumbs add a perfect crunch to their rustic, nutty texture. Holes in the center ready for filling. These cookies don't "drop." You roll them in a ball ( bola ) and press a hole in the center, as for jelly-filled thumbprint cookies. Egg yolk

#17 Brazil Nut Crescents 1958

Light as a feather, these cookies showcase the Brazil nut. After my fiasco of many ingredients (the Oatmeal Molasses Cookies seem so last month), I wondered if only four ingredients would be enough to make a decent attempt at a cookie. I creamed the butter, added sugar, flour and finely chopped Brazil nuts, as instructed. I kneaded the dough on a floured surface a bit, and formed my 2-inch cylinder of dough. The ridged crescent shapes emerge when you cut off each slice. As you cut, each round compresses into more of an oval or square. Help it shape by giving it a pat on top. Then, poke a finger sideways into the middle of each slice, and pull the ends toward you to form the crescents. Cookie rounds flatten as you slice them. I expected a firm cookie, like the Mexican Wedding Cakes I've made. But these are lighter. When I bit in, they crumbled like an abandoned sand castle. OK, edible sand castle. I wondered how they had stayed together until then. The texture difference c

Bourbon Balls, by request

On Sunday, my nephew asked me for my bourbon ball recipe. Not one from the Gourmet Cookie Book -- one of those recipes I haven't gotten around to -- but the one I make for Christmas brunch, and other cold-weather parties to get us all through the winter. My recipe comes from a 1970's yellowed 3 X 5 card. Typed on an actual typewriter. My mom found the "Coconut Rum Balls" recipe somewhere, set me to typing the recipe for her card file, then set me to making them. I kept making them. One year, we were out of rum and I'd tasted a friend's bourbon balls (in the '70's these things were everywhere), so I used bourbon and never looked back. Bourbon Balls 2 cups finely crushed chocolate waters 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, more for rolling 1 cup finely chopped pecans 1/4 cup light corn syrup 1/4 cup bourbon Combine all ingredients. With hands -- and this is the fun part so no fair using a spoon -- mix until all ingredients are well combined. The mixt